Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Stay at Home Chapter 3 - Day 34

 Wednesday May 12

Finally got that dogwood planted.


It doesn't look like much right now and I'm not sure why the photo turned out so blurry - it's not blurry on my phone. Anyway, I was able to dig out a few of those daylilies just in front of it as well.  Himself still has a few bags of soil left so I dragged one  from the garage to amend the garden dirt. I think I did myself an injury though; it was too heavy to lift so I had to drag and flip it end over end to get it to the hole.  Now my back is a little tender.  I also took the opportunity to dig out some little maple saplings, ones that are too big just to pull out by hand.  I like my maple tree, sort of, but those saplings are a nuisance once they establish themselves.  I have to keep on top of them all season. 

I wonder what furry little fucker did this.

Seriously, why just the bloom? And why only one bloom?  At least if it was all the blooms it wouldn't look so stupid. According to the gardening facebook page, rabbits do this. Maybe it was a rabbit. Or a squirrel. 
As I was out in the garden a lady with a basset hound walked by.  I've seen her before and I always say hi when she passes.  I don't know her name - she's the Basset Hound Lady.  We started chatting while the dog was sniffing about and she admired my lilies of the valley and said liked them but didn't have any.  I quickly offered her some - I was planning to dig some out anyway because they are spreading where I don't want them to and someone else might as well enjoy be cursed with them.   She accepted and I said I'd leave them in a bag on the front steps.  I dug out a nice big clump right away otherwise I'd forget and left them for her. We also commiserated on the plague that is grout weed.  Planting these things always seems like a good idea at the time.

Until tomorrow. Stay sane.





2 comments:

  1. Lily of the valley - isn't that the plant you give to your enemies? Ha ha. It is a curse that I am dealing with, as it has spread and is now mixed in with other perennials and shrubs. I do hope your back feels better soon! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s my issue too - it’s mixed in with other things

    ReplyDelete