The weather was decidedly weird; frost one day, 35 the next. The leaves are starting to turn and it's been fairly sunny for the month. I haven't got into the garden to tidy it up yet. There's still time, right?
I managed to do some canning this fall although my heart wasn't really in it. I made some salsa which according to some isn't as good as in other years. Make it yourself then. I bought 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes from the market and got 10 1L jars of salsa and 5 1L jars of just plain tomatoes. I also bought 1/2 a bushel of peaches but was very disappointed with them - they were pulpy and kinda tasteless. I only got 7 1L jars and suspect I wasted my time preserving shit.
The Trouts are settled into their new routine at school. Science Girl is in her final year of high school and starting to panic. She doesn't know what she wants to do when she grows up (who does really) but she's being asked to make some pretty complex and long-reaching decisions. I certainly do not envy her. And, of course, we can't tell her anything because, just because she's not called Pig-headed Girl any more, doesn't mean she isn't still pig-headed. It will prove to be an interesting year. Lego Boy likes his teacher who looks about 15 but hates school. No change there then.
After 12 years of watching the Trouts go to the school bus stop at the end of the street from the end of my walkway, I finally managed to get there in my nightie. I know. It was awesome. The new bus driver went whizzing past one morning at about 8:35 when he's not suppose to come until about 8:50. Another mum who was just arriving with her kids looked at me from the corner and shrugged her shoulders in a what the f*ck motion. Lego Boy was making a valiant but futile attempt to run for the bus which was now half way down the next block. I figured I'd better go to the corner to see what was going on.
Now at this point, I should have gone back into the house and thrown some shorts and a t-shirt on. Or at least a bra. It would have taken 2 minutes. But no, off I sauntered down to the street for what turned out to be a 30 minute wait for the return of the bus driver. This also happened to be the day when
Some tool set fire to the boys' washroom at Science Girl's school. The school was closed for 3 days while the fire marshall and the police investigated. No one was injured but it caused about $50,000 worth of damage, mostly smoke and water. Somebody's going to be in big, big trouble. They opened the school on Friday for the kids and teachers to retrieve their crap from their lockers but the second floor where the fire was started was still closed. Guess where SG's locker is? Yup, right across the hall from the can. So with no homework or books to study for 3 days, SG was paced around the house like a caged bloody cat seriously getting on my nerves.
I wasn't going to volunteer at Lego Boy's school this year. Last year, I just got fed up having to go every week. But Lego Bog asked me if I would serve Pizza Lunch in his class. That's every. single. Wednesday. I grudgingly agreed since it's his last year at this school but I hope there will be another parent in his class so I only have to do it every other week. I know there won't be though.
I didn't volunteer for the Home Reading program because that seriously pissed me off last year. But I ran into the co-ordinator one day at the school. That bitch held a gun to my head and forced me to take a shift. F*ck.
Roll on October.
Always Little Miss Sunshine.....wouldn't have it any other way. I've had a shit one too.
ReplyDeleteHorrible for you ... funny for us! Have you ever seen Bad Education? It would probably cheer you up about the kids' schools .... :)
ReplyDeleteI still do not know what I want to be when I grow up. Christmas Shopping; pretty much as I am putting together a family box for the 7 all together, bought my Mom a couple things yesterday, and only me & my Crabby. The grandboys will get money put into their accts. as they have way too much of everything else.
ReplyDelete