Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Stay at Home Chapter 3 - Day 42 + 5

 Tuesday May 25

I did some planting today but sweet Jesus it was so hot I had to stop.  I planted 1 my 4 ferns, all 3 hostas, and 4 of 24 little impatiens. I had laid down landscape fabric last year in a shady spot in the backyard under some lilacs that don't bloom any more to inhibit all the weeds which worked really well. But now in order to plant anything, I have to cut through the fabric to make a little hole for the new plant.  The point of this fabric, of course, is to be thick enough so stuff doesn't grow up through it.  This also means that it takes a bit of effort to make the hole.  Today was not the day to do that.  I made sure to plant the hostas because they're just roots with a couple of shoots growing up so they might not have lasted a couple more days.  Everything got well watered and they will all sit there for a little while until it cools down.

The birds have really been enjoying the birdbath the last few days.  I can never get a picture because they're too fast and my phone's too shite.  I get a pair of cardinals, a few robins and gackles or greckles or grackles (I can never remember the name but they're fairly big and black but kind of shiny blue as well), sparrows, blue jays and to my great joy, a pair of goldfinches.  I used to get loads of goldfinches to my feeder in the winter but for the past few years I haven't seen them so I was very excited to spot them at the bath.  They're all interesting to watch - they take their turns, waiting on the fence or the lilac bush, some just take a drink while others get right in there and then they hop out to the fence or lilac to pick at themselves.  The robins manage to empty the bath with their vigorous flapping about; sometimes there is a difference of opinion as to who should go first and much squawking ensues.

There's rain in the forecast for tonight so maybe that will cut the humdity.

Until tomorrow. Stay sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment