Friday, March 27, 2020

Day 194

It's not really Day 194 of this staying at home business - it only feels like it.  I think this is the end of the second week but I'm not even sure what day it is anymore.  No one's sick  chez Trouts so that's a positive.  Himself is still going out to work so that's a positive.  It's just LegoBoy and me prowling around the house.  

LegoBoy's been doing school work since the beginning.  He goes to a private school which doesn't get March Break (their break is in April) and they right away set up online work to be done.  They got that Zoom thingy up and running this week so he's been having sort of classes with a couple of his teachers each day.  He's 16 and in Grade 11 and just goes about his business unaided.  I would not want to be doing this staying at home thing with little kids who needed to be amused.  Ack.

I venture out to do the groceries once a week.  That's turned into a bit of a gong show.  My local Zehrs has us all funneling in the one door and rather than lining up at each till, there's one main line up and you move to the next available cashier.  There's tape on the floor marking out the 2m you're supposed to stay away from the next person in line. But the aisles aren't that wide so you're still passing within about 2ft of people so the tape is kind of defeating the purpose.   The toilet paper aisle is still empty which baffles me.  I couldn't figure out way people were buying up the tp for a respiratory illness.  I thought I had misunderstood and the virus was actually a gastro-intestinal thing.  But no - people were just being assholes.

I'm down to my last library book.   I only had 5 signed out when the libraries closed without warning.  Well, maybe there was warning but I missed it.  You could argue that the  library is an essential service, like the liquor store.  A lot of people rely on the library for the access to the free internet.  All the computers in my local branch are always occupied when I go in. 

Luckily, Luddite Granny and ScienceGirl both have a decent stash of paperbacks so we've swapped books and I should be good for a few weeks yet.  Which I'd rather not think about.

There are a gazillion things around here I should be doing, could be doing.  I should do a bit more housekeeping - the place is starting to look like people have been stuck inside for 2 weeks.  The windows could do with a cleaning - there's dog boog all over them.  I should be  filing  our paperwork.  Himself was doing the taxes the other night and needed some receipts for something.  It took me about 15 minutes to go through several stacks of papers to locate what he needed.  There was one thing I never did find.  I should be catching up on the wash, you know the things that you're always waiting for a full load to do like the dog's smelly bedding or the delicates.  Hydro has made the whole day off-peak so there's no excuse really.  I should do something with my Christmas containers outside; they're starting to look a little ratty and dead.  

I could be emptying the 5 or 6 boxes that have been stacked up in our bedroom for years.  I have no idea what's in them and I obviously don't need whatever it is.  I could be organizing my photos on the computer; there're a lot of pictures that should be deleted and edited.  I could be sorting out LegoBoy's room;  his bookshelf needs culling and he's got a lot of shit in there that needs to go. 

Of course, none of that appeals to me.   I've done a bit of sewing - there's a list of projects to be done but the fabric store is closed so I have to work from my stash. I've done way too much internet browsing and not all it useful.  I've stepped up my baking.  But mostly I just wander aimlessly around the house and look longing out the front window.

That's all for now, my friends, from chez Trout.  Stay sane.

Talk to you later. 







No comments:

Post a Comment