But maybe it's not unusual at all. This is what a normal Canadian winter used to be, it's just that Mother Nature has just been slacking off the last couple of years. But now she's back in the game, kicking ass and taking names.
First, there was the Ice Storm just before Christmas, snapping trees in half and downing power lines. People were without hydro for days and as the temperatures dipped lower and lower, it was becoming dangerous. Our power was only out for 4 hours, so we were extremely lucky. The destruction of the trees was shocking and still not cleaned up in a lot of places. But if I squinted and stood at the right angle, I could see some beauty in it. The 2 cm of ice on my bent-over, trying-very-hard-not-to-break Rose of Sharon did sparkle in the sunlight.
Then there's the snow. This is the view from my front porch. Those snowbanks are about 4 feet high.
This is how much snow is in the middle of the front yard. So a lot of snow. But again, if I squint and if the sun is shining, it is kind of sparkly.
Then there's been the cold, oh the cold. The Core Temperature, as they call it on The Weather Channel, has not risen above -10 for weeks. The Wind Chill has been nothing less than about -20. Today the Wind Chill is -33. That's dangerously cold. The children don't get outside for recess; the snow crunches when you walk through it. It's the kind of cold when your nostrils freeze together when you inhale and you go into a coughing fit as the cold air hits your lungs. Exposed flesh can freeze in 5 minutes, according to Environment Canada. And as much as I squint, I can find no beauty in the cold.
Because this is not my first Canadian winter, I own a puffy coat. It is not pretty, certainly not stylish but it is warm. During most winters, I'll wear it for a couple of days every few weeks as necessary but this year I have worn every time, every. time. I have gone outside for the past month. Even if I'm just going out to feed the birds or bring in the garbage cans.
So when Himself & I got invited out to a Burns' Night by the Maggots on Saturday, I knew what I wasn't going to wear. I wasn't going to wear my black pumps because nasty, greasy slush and 8 inches of snow and stiletto heels do not mix. I wasn't going to wear my nice kilt which I only wear once or twice a year because you cannot pull off a dressy outfit when you're wearing an ugly puffy coat.
Ha ! I walked into a Camera Shop in the City after Christmas with my Baffin boots on & the guy said those are quite the boots; my reply, "you don't dress in style when you live on the Bruce Peninsula". I would much rather be warm then in style any day ... we just got over another round of road closures so hope we are good again until next week when they are calling for more.
ReplyDeleteI gave up trying to look stylish in winter years ago. Okay - that's a lot of snow.
ReplyDeleteThat's proper winter, you want to see how England can't cope if we get a few inches, honestly it's all over the news and everyone gets all panicky !!!
ReplyDeleteMy road dead ends just past my driveway. That means the snowplow slows down right about where my driveway comes out. The snowbanks are probably ten feet tall right about where my second driveway pops open in the warmer months.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that the main city streets are pretty clear, but get into more suburban areas and it's a wonder there aren't crashes every time someone tries to exit their driveway!
We better pray for a slow spring. A flash thaw would sure bring about some serious flooding!
Did you get a pile of snow today (Feb 5)? We hardly got a flake!