My own garden is too shady thanks to two massive oak trees, so I rented a plot a community garden in town. There aren't too many of them around here, so I was pleased to get this little plot, even though I didn't get it until mid-June because someone else had abandoned it due to gardening being too wet(!?). The weeds that had been turned over in April had come back in full-force and waist high.
See that piece of string at the bottom? That is tied to two stakes to mark the boundary of my plot and is about 2 inches off the ground.
But never mind. Weeds got cleared and things got planted and things grew.
These are the first of the radishes. Nobody likes radishes except Himself and he only likes them in salads so I won't be growing radishes again.
This is one of my peppers coming along nicely.
Here's a pumpkin that has not been eaten by some bloody beetle-looking thing that has attacked my zucchini. I only planted the pumpkin and zucs as an easy-peasy growing thing that would interest Boy but he doesn't give a shit. But they amuse me.
One of my tomato plants. Hopefully they will ripen before the frost gets them.
It's an organic community garden so it's been interesting learning how to deal with pests etc without blasting them with some chemical; I'm no longer squeamish about squashing bugs with my bare hands, well, gloved hands.
I'm already planning the garden for next year. What to plant that the Trouts will eat or I can preserve, how to prevent problems so I'll be ready to go in May when the garden opens.





No comments:
Post a Comment