Monday, April 11, 2011

Adventures from the Week-end

1) Musings from the Mall

Girl needed new clothes and I had promised her we would go shopping on the week-end.  Now, we've been there before and it was not pleasant.  We both hate shopping and I especially don't like going on Saturday.  The mall is full of strange and weird people on Saturday. 

But I had a brainwave;  I gave the girl 100 bucks and send her off to buy her own clothes.  She took a friend and a list of things she needed and away she went.  And do you know what?  It worked!  There were no shouting matches in the change rooms,  there were no fights  over hem lengths and no escalating blood pressure or eye rolling.  I had a couple of hours to myself for a bit of shopping but mostly I sat people-watching while waiting for the girls to finish up.  Win-win.

There was a couple I kept running into at the mall.  I first saw them in one department store at the dress racks.  The lady was rifling through the dresses and her husband was yakking away to her.  I couldn't understand the language, Middle Eastern maybe, but she was paying absolutely no attention to him!  I don't know if he was telling her to hurry up or what but she didn't even glance up at him, just kept going through the dresses.  I saw them again later walking through the mall and he was still yammering away at her and she was still ignoring him.  I wondered what it's like at home for both of them.

I saw a kid in shorts and a t-shirt and his dad in a coat and a toque.  Somebody had it wrong there.

I wondered, not for the first time,  why retired people insist on shopping on the week-ends.

2) Villian in the Making?

We were driving home from church and I happened to notice that Boy was holding a toonie.  He has been known to take the money out of his offering envelope and pocket it but I only gave him a dollar for collection on this morning,  so puzzled, I asked him where he got the toonie from.   Um, I forget.  That's code for I don't want to tell you.  Either he can't be bothered or it's something he knows is wrong.  I guessed the latter.  Did you take that toonie out of the collection plate?  Dodgey eye slide, what happens if I say yes?  

Ok, the Boy has just stolen out of the collection plate.  Seriously?  If it wasn't so bad, it would be funny.  What is the appropriate restitution for stealing from the collection plate?  Well, he has to give the toonie back, of course, plus give extra for next week and apologize to as many people I can think of including the teacher and the minister.  

Sigh.

3) Not in the Garden

I was planning to cut down the stalks left over from the fall and take out the leaves in the front garden so the tulips and other growing things stood half a chance, but the mothball sized hailstones put the kibosh on that.

Sigh.



 

2 comments:

  1. It's a brilliant past time to people watch isn't it! And to speculate on their lives. Good idea to send your daughter off to buy clothes with a friend - i shall look forward to that day with my 11 year old who is a nightmare to go shopping with.
    We all know that code 'erm, can't remember' aka 'I'm not going to tell you'!! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore people watching and now am intrigued by your odd couple. I really am wondering what home life is like for them!

    ReplyDelete