I watched the Remembrance Day Service televised from Ottawa this morning hosted by two stalwarts, Peter Mansbridge and Jack Grananstein. It is a truly moving ceremony.
During the service, the cameramen focus their lenses on some of the veterans, somewhat intrusively at times I think. I always wonder what they are thinking.
Do they think about the German soldier, not much older than themselves, who they killed; do they think about their mate who was killed when their airplane was shot down; do they think about the torture suffered in the Prisoner of War camp.
Or
Do they think about their friend who always brightened things up with a joke and a laugh; do they think about the time someone shared their cigarettes with them; do they think about their time on leave when they met that lovely girl at the dance hall.
What stories will we lose when all those old men die?
15 hours ago
There is a saying: When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground.
ReplyDeleteLovely post.. I like your take on this.
ReplyDeleteThank you
ReplyDelete