Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Mathematician She's Not

A recent conversation with Girl.

G: I got my math quiz back today.  I got 12 out of 18.  That's 66%.

Me, with a disapproving look:  What was it on?

G:   Adding Integers.

M: You had a test on adding?  And only got 66%?

G:  Ya, but it was Integers.

M: Integers are whole numbers, right (trying to drag grade 9 math up from the deep recesses of my brain)?

G:  Ya.

M:  You had a test on adding whole numbers and only got 66%?

G:  And it was positive numbers, no negatives.

M:  Ok.  So you had a test on adding whole positive numbers and only got 66%? (This was going from bad to worse)

G:  Well, I got confused on the square brackets and the exponents.  And I ran out of time.  And I thought 15 divided by 15 was 0.

M:  15 divided by 15 is not 0.

G: Yes, I know that now.

I had nothing else to say.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going through this with my elder daughter at the moment. Trouble is, I'm no better than her. I had to look at 15 divided by 15 for quite a while there. It's worrying

    ReplyDelete