Thursday, July 8, 2010

Substandard Housing, Inadequate Sanitation and Raccoons

We have just returned from our annual camping trip. 

It was hotter than the hubs of hell, with a humidex of 40 and we had to be on the sunniest site in the park.  The raccoons weren't too bad this year - I only saw 1 or 2.  We did have a 10 hour power outage one day which isn't a big deal unless you're relying on a little fridge to keep your meat and milk from going rancid in said 40 degree heat.

Some random thoughts & observations:

There seemed to be a large population of elderly campers.  We were almost surrounded by people who had to be well into their 70's, bless their hearts.  Maybe it was because we were in the hydro section and they all these big fancy-schmancy trailers.  And most of those people were either Dutch or German speaking.  Very odd.  At least they were quiet.

Overheard from the site next door with a big-ass 5th wheel during the power outage: "We are dying here without the air-conditioning."

It was so hot on Tuesday for supper that we actually had an electric fan going in our dining shelter.

Nobody became too badly sunburned, dehydrated or suffered from heat exhaustion.

Boy always enjoys himself when camping.  Girl enjoyed herself once she got over herself/realized she didn't know anybody/there didn't seem to be any cute boys to impress with her awesome awesomeness.

I was well stocked with alcohol, my crutch little pleasure while camping;  I had 2 tetra paks of Merlot and a 6-pack of Ice but it was too damn hot to drink.  And then there's that dehydrating aspect of alcohol so not such a good idea. And the diuretic element isn't such a good idea when the loo is a 5 minute walk away.


So that's us done until next year.  Come February, I'll start thinking about it again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the tetra pak of Merlot! I wrote a post about that once, about a blisteringly bad night with the baby where I paged my husband at the gym and made him come home so I could get blind drunk and pass out from hopelessless and colic. Um. Tetra Pak ;-)

    My grandparents (German) loved camping (in their 70s) and regularly brought their (electrified, giant) RV up north for Blueberry Season. So this post resonates in several ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. It was good to see you back at the blogging thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, as someone who is about to embark on a week long camping trip, you've really sold me on it ;)

    ReplyDelete