Monday, May 3, 2010

So I Don't Slip into a Coma

It's that time of year again.  The beginning of soccer season.  Time to load up the car with a brolly, used for the sun because there's never any shade at the soccer fields and the rain because those games go ahead rain, shine or howling gale, a fold-up chair because I certainly don't want to stand for an hour, a blanket because sometimes, especially early in the season, it can be bloody cold, and something to amuse myself with during the game.

I will admit that I find watching my kids play soccer one of the most boring, mind and bum-numbing things I do.   To keep me from slipping into a coma, I take along something to do while I sit there.  Now, over the 7 or 8 years I've been enduring this 4 month torture season, I've experimented with different things.  The soccer fields aren't usually wi-fi so there's no point taking the laptop along.  I've tried reading but groans of dismay from the other parents as our team let in yet another goal were too distracting. I've written a few letters but people look at me like I've got three heads (letter-writing, seriously what century does she think she's in) and my recipients were getting fed up with the squashed mosquitoes that littered the pages of my correspondence.  So now I knit.

The choice of project does take some thought however.  It should be something that can fit into my purse because with the umbrella and the fold-up chair and the blanket, I can't carry a knitting bag as well.  That lets out anything bigger than the size of a child's article of clothing.

It should be something that isn't too complicated because I can't carry a pattern and I do have to look up and feign show an interest in the game once and awhile.  No aran cardies or lacy tops.

So I knit socks.  Nice and compact, fits into my purse.  Certainly not complicated, just round after round after round. I turn the heel at home because it does take some concentration and with the nail-biting excitement of the game, I wouldn't want to lose track.  

I'll dig some bright and cheery yarn out of my stash, pack up my dpns and set off for the soccer field now confident that I won't slip into that coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment