Thursday, June 4, 2015

Little Red Hen's Book Club - Dead Man's Land

 Dead Man's Land by Robert Ryan.  Published January 2013, Simon & Schuster UK

 


 This is set in the trenches of Flanders Fields during the horrors of WW1.  It sees Dr. Watson, yes that Dr. Watson, unable to fight due to injury but  serving with the Medical Corps.  Amongst the maimed and blown to bits patients, he notices one whose injuries are inconsistent with shrapnel wounds.  After finding out from a couple of the volunteer nurses that there have been one or two other bodies who passed through the clearing station with similar injuries, Dr. Watson is off on the scent of a mystery.  Through his investigations in Flanders, Watson finds out that all these strange corpses come from the same town in England and coincidentally, but not really, they all worked in the same mill.

Meanwhile, Holmes is flapping about Devon looking after bees, totally bored stiff (Whenever I visualize Holmes, I always see Jeremy Brett and Watson I always see as Martin Freeman.  Weird huh) and Watson enlists his help to investigate on the English side of the Channel. 

I'm not a fan of books in which the characters are taken from other authors' works.  They never seem to ring true to me. 

But this one works.  It works for several reasons:  the author isn't trying to replicate Holmes and Watson mysteries;  this takes place years after their original adventures in 221B Baker Street;  and it's Watson doing the sleuthing this time and getting Holmes to help.

There are 2 more in the series set in World War 1 which I will certainly be on the look out for at the library.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this- it sounds interesting and I need a new book :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds quite interesting. Thank you for your interesting post. Cheers and have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete