I always feel a little guilty during March Break. We never go anywhere, not south, not even to the water park in Niagara Falls. I resent the mark-up in price just because it's March Break. We've been to the sugar bush a couple of times and there's only so many times you can do that and not have a revolt on your hands. I don't sign the Trouts up for any kind of camp or activity anymore. They've both been to different kinds of camps in the past but we're done with that.
This is not entirely my decision. None of us do well in crowds and, as anyone who has had to drag their kids to any kind of organized program knows, things at March Break are stupid busy. Kids and parents who never set foot inside the library are there for every bloody event going.
So I try to come up with little things to do each day that don't require a pre-registration or any line ups. Monday we went grocery shopping. I know, I know this sounds kinda lame but they each got to pick out a food treat for the week. Lego Boy chose ice cream sandwiches and Pig-headed Girl chose dried mangoes. Whatever.
On Tuesday, Lego Boy and I went to the show to see Escape from Planet Earth. The theatre happened to be packed and we almost didn't get a seat and it wasn't even that good of a movie but he enjoyed it and didn't complain about the crowd so it turned out okay.
Wednesday Lego Boy had a doctor's appointment. That kind of bit but he got to go to the toy store and pick out more bloody Lego. Turns out he had sinusitis that we had ignored for 6 weeks. Oops.
On Thursday, Lego Boy and I went swimming in a fairly empty pool for an hour. Which was a pleasant surprise - I thought it would be packed with other people's feral children. Then we toodled off to the Bulk Barn, which is the Best Store Ever and we all got more treats.
For Friday's supper, I had planned a Medieval Night. This only means that we get to eat with our hands and turn off the lights and light a candle. It's no big deal really but LB gets a kick out it. Pig-headed Girl, not so much. I heard something about lame theme nights muttered under her breath at one point and The Voice in my head started on one of her rants.
Now The Voice says the things I'd like to say out loud but don't because it would be mean. Like telling strangers to hurry the fuck up because they're taking too long in the grocery line or telling someone that she looks like shit in that outfit or in this case, a mother saying certain things to her daughter. So The Voice started to rant:
Oh, would you shut the fuck up! You have done nothing but bitch and complain and snipe all week long. You come out of your room only to forage for food (which you eat all of, by the way), and when I do manage to drag you out of the house, you carry on like I'm carting you off to a bloody Russian gulag. You moan that you don't get any practice driving but then won't drive us to the movie or the pool when given the chance. Yeah, okay, Medieval Night isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but in case you hadn't fucking noticed, you are not the only one who's had a week's holiday and needed some entertainment. LB thinks it's a riot and it's not just about you. So sit down, suck it up and shut up.
Out loud I said, "Just humour me."
7 hours ago
Gasp! We share internal voices! I love internal rants that involve saying Fuck a lot and would get you locked up if said out loud.
ReplyDeleteI lol'd at "...dried mangos, whatever". Struck me as really, really funny.
I have to stop by here more often - you make me laugh.
Thanks for stopping by. Your blog is a funny one too.
ReplyDelete