The biggest decision to make was who would take our kids if we both died in some horrible fiery way. This took us years to decide. Well, it took Himself years to realize that the person he thought he should choose would be the last person who should have our kids. He wanted to ask his sister, for no other reason than she's his sister and family.
On paper, she looks like the obvious choice. She's a blood relation; she's not a heroin addict nor a pedophile (that I know of); she's an educated woman in a stable (from what I see) marriage with a family of her own in a responsible job. Sounds perfect, right?
But her own kids are fucked up. One's a manipulative princess who gets her own way all. the. time. The other is going to be one of those people you read about who go into their old high school and shoot everybody and nobody saw it coming and everybody is shocked and stunned because he seemed like such a good, quiet boy. Ya, everyone except Auntie Hen.
Whenever we were in their company, I just could not imagine my kids growing up in that household. Just as I felt sick to my stomach because we hadn't made any legal arrangements, I also felt sick to my stomach by the thought of my poor wee kids being raised by her. Himself agreed that there were some "issues" but still couldn't get past the idea that family is always the best choice. I think he was worried how it would look to others but I didn't give a shit about the optics. I just wanted the best person to raise my kids.
I have no siblings so I wasn't burdened by any guilt about choosing someone outside the family. I briefly considered my cousin but dismissed him mostly because he lives too far away. I finally decided to ask my best friend. Auntie Maggot and I have been friends all our lives. We were christened on the same day and were maids of honour at each others wedddings. We have supported each other during family sicknesses and deaths. She's not a heroin addict nor a pedaphile (that I know); she's an educated woman in a stable (from what I see) marriage with a family of her own with a responsible job. But her kids are normal. You can tell they are going to be well-adjusted responsible adults, not some kind of sociopathic weirdos.
Chances are the Maggots will never have to take our kids. But now I don't feel nauseous every time Himself and I go out alone together because I am sure that Girl and Boy will be well-looked after.
No comments:
Post a Comment